I just realized that I wrote up this post back in the middle of October and never got around to posting the final product… So without further ado:
I planned for a 6′ x 4′ (1.8m x 1.2m) table to start, then I decided that wasn’t nearly epic enough so I upgraded to 8′ x 4′ (2.4m x 1.2m) and added a removable drop-leaf for future expansion. I used Google SketchUp to create the concept for the table.
I was under a bit of a crunch to get the table together as it was all spurred on by the need to finish it before the charity gaming event, Extra Life, on October 20th.
Once the table was put together I added the war gaming tiles. I went with a modular configuration to maximize the number of scenarios that we can possibly play.
I primed the tiles in flat black paint and then spent about 4 and a half hours dry brushing grey on the rocks, brown in the cracks, dark green base coat and finally light green highlights. A couple details went into dry brushing the skulls and then washing them with a brown ink and then called it done.
It was an amazing effort and it came together very quickly.
Final images of the painting process:by